Thursday, March 6, 2008

Working on a Comeback


Well I'm on the tail-end of this flu / bronchitis, and eager to get back into training. It's been nearly 4 weeks since I've been able to train, and a bit of panic set in as we're approaching 3 months to go.

One particularly difficult challenge I've had has been my weight. I'm in the somewhat enviable position of having a metabolism that seems to run @ hyper speed, and keeps my weight at the same as it was when I left high school. Eat more or less, and day-to-day it doesn't change.

Now the two climbs, with 8-16hr a day trekking at altitude, will burn major calories. For people like me, after I burn the energy I have from food, the body next goes to the fat deposits for energy. That isn't a very big tank for me, and once that's burnt off, the body starts eating the muscles. Not something I can have happen!

So for four weeks from mid Jan to mid Feb, I ate larger meals, as well as smaller meals in-between, snacks, and shakes in an attempt to put on a little weight. I was eating so much, I didn't even want to eat because I was hungry, I was just eating for the sake of eating. Even more on days I was working out. This added about 600-700+ additional calories/day to my regular diet. After 3 weeks, there was no change, and after the 4th week, I was up by 2lbs. With a bit of research seems that for my body type, it's a normal timeline.

To fast forward to today, I'm down 5lbs from my peak (and that's up from a few weeks ago, thanks flu+!), and working hard to get back up to that target and add a couple more. It'll be even tougher as I ramp up my training.

So if you happen to see me around, don't let me miss meals and book through lunches!

::

No comments: